Go back to list
Mar 1, 2011
PIXIE, the latest machine innovation from Nespresso, has been awarded the 2011 Red Dot prize for Product Design. Developed by the Nespresso R&D team and designed by its long-time design partner, Antoine Cahen from Les Ateliers du Nord in Lausanne, Switzerland, PIXIE is the ultra-compact contemporary solution that brings together modern design, full functionality and the highest quality coffee.
“Our cutting-edge design and innovations have continually reinvented the coffee machine and the way coffee is prepared by consumers around the world,” commented Guillaume Le Cunff, International Marketing Director, Nestlé Nespresso S.A. “We are proud that the daring and sleek industrial design of PIXIE has been recognized by the Red Dot award, an industry reference for international excellence.”
The smallest coffee machine ever created by Nespresso, PIXIE is available in six bold and vibrant colours. With side panels in anodized aluminium inspired by industrial, minimalist design, PIXIE projects a daring new look for Nespresso.
“The inspiration for PIXIE comes from industrial, machine-like design and the use of metal in both architectural works and in the design of everyday objects,” commented Antoine Cahen. “It is the first time that we show so much of the movement of our machine, with the front piston, almost like sharing with the consumer a part of the alchemy that makes Nespresso perfect coffee. We have chosen metal and in particular aluminium for its specific look and versatility with anodized texture and for its characteristics of infinite recyclability.”
The Red Dot product design award competition exists since 1955 and is a much coveted internationally recognized quality seal for high-tech and everyday products. Approximately 1,700 companies from 60 countries took part in this year’s competition with 4,433 entries in total.
A Long Record of and Commitment to Award-Winning Innovative Design
Nespresso continues to spearhead machine innovations equipped with increasingly advanced features and functions, offering ever more convenience and ease-of-use for consumers. Brilliant in their simplicity, Nespresso pioneered innovations and cutting-edge designs have continually reinvented the coffee machine and quite appropriately, have been recognized with successive design awards:
Key Distinctions & Awards
- 1995: “Design Preis Schweiz” distinction of the Nespresso C125 machine
- 1996: “Red Dot: Design Innovations” awards for the C125 and C250 Nespresso systems
- 1997: “Red Dot: Design Innovations” awards for the Nespresso Professional systems
- 1998: The “iF” (International Product Design Award) for the Nespresso system C220
- 1998: “Award for High Design Quality” for the Nespresso system C280
- 2002: A “Red Dot: Best of the Best” prize for highest quality in international product design was awarded to the Nespresso C190 (Concept Line)
- 2002: The Nespresso C190 (Concept Line) received a coveted “Good Design” Award by the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design in the U.S.A.
- 2003: “Design Preis Schweiz” distinction or the Nespresso Concept machine
- 2003: The Nespresso Concept machine becomes part of the permanent collection of the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design in the U.S.A. and is part of the exposition at the Totem Gallery in New York
- 2004: The Nespresso M200 Automatic (Concept Line) won the Small Electrical Appliance of the Year Award at the UK’s 2004 Industry Awards in London
- 2004: The Nespresso D90 (Compact Line) received a coveted “Good Design” Award by the Chicago Athenaeum Museum of Architecture and Design in the U.S.A.
- 2005: A “Red Dot: Best of the Best” prize for highest quality in international product design was awarded to the Nespresso C90 (Compact Line)
- 2005: Exhibition “Daily Signs of Design, Graphics and Fashion” at the Centre Culturel Suisse in Paris with the Nespresso Essenza machine
- 2007: “Red Dot: Best of the Best” prize for the Siemens Nespresso Machine by Porsche Design
- 2007: The “iF” (International Product Design Award) for the Nespresso Machine “Le Cube”
- 2009: “Red Dot Award: Product Design” prize for highest quality in international product design awarded to the Nespresso CitiZ and Citiz & Milk Machines
- 2011: “Red Dot Award: Product Design” prize for the Pixie machine
Nestlé Nespresso SA
Phone: +41 21 796 96 97
About Nestlé Nespresso SA
Nestlé Nespresso SA, the worldwide pioneer and market leader in highest-quality premium portioned coffee, introduces consumers to the world’s finest Grand Cru coffees to be enjoyed in the comfort of their own homes and savoured outside the home, in locations such as gourmet restaurants, upscale hotels, luxury outlets and offices. As a company, Nespresso is driven by core competencies that enable it to create highest quality Grand Cru coffees, long lasting consumer relationships, and sustainable business success. The Nespresso offer focuses on its unique Trilogy, the unmatched combination of exceptional coffee, smart and stylish coffee machines and personalised customer service. Together, these three elements deliver moments of pure indulgence – the Nespresso Ultimate Coffee Experiences. Headquartered in Lausanne, Switzerland, with more than 4 500 employees, Nestlé Nespresso SA sells products in more than 50 countries directly to its customers. At the end of 2009, it operated a global retail network of more than 190 exclusive boutiques in key cities around the world. For the fourth consecutive year, Nespresso is one of the fastest growing brands within the Nestlé Group and one of its "billionaire brands". In 2009, Nespresso achieved global sales of CHF 2.77 billion, maintaining an average annual growth rate of 30 percent since 2000.